It is no wonder that many pain management programs in United States, UK, Australia and Canada have started using aromatherapy for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
There are more than 25 different essential oils that can help relieve pain. In this article, we will discuss the top 10 essential oils that can kill your pain naturally. Consider these oils your starting point for natural pain relief.
Why Use Essential Oils for Relieving Pain and Inflammation?
- Many studies show that conventional drugs are addictive and toxic to our organs.
- Prescription pain medicines do not improve conditions that cause pain.
- Essential oils are safe and resolve pain without any adverse effects.
- Many essential oils also have other benefits. Apart from being analgesic, essential oils like Peppermint, Chamomile and Lavender also aid sleep, improve digestion and relax the senses.
- Since essential oils are highly concentrated, you only need to apply a small amount. This can save you tons of money in the long run.
Best Essential Oils for Pain Relief
Following are the top 10 most effective pain relieving essential oils.
1. Chamomile Oil
There are several types of Chamomile essential oils. The two main types, German and Roman Chamomile oils are both extremely effective for pain relief. Their natural anti-inflammatory properties can relieve lower back pain and tension headaches as well as symptoms of migraines. Women can use Chamomile oil for relieving PMS pain.
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular essential oils in Aromatherapy and rightly so. It has many medicinal properties that are a subject of scientific research. Apart from pain relief, its soothing aroma offers deep relaxation. The calming, sedative and analgesic properties of Lavender oil can relieve symptoms of migraines, headaches, muscular spasms, and joint pain.
3. Eucalyptus Oil
Just a bit of this pain relieving, anti-inflammatory essential oil goes a long way. You can add Eucalyptus oil to your steamer or vaporizer when suffering from headaches caused by colds, sinusitis and other respiratory issues. The nervine, sedative and tonic properties of Eucalyptus oil are beneficial for people suffering from muscle aches and spasms.
4. Peppermint Oil
Like Lavender, Peppermint oil is versatile and can be used for all kinds of pain. It is particularly useful for headaches and migraines as well as pain caused by stress and tension. The oil also aids digestion to relieve gas, bloating and stomach cramps. Peppermint oil’s cooling properties can relieve joint aches as well as nerve pain.
5. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary essential oil is antispasmodic and analgesic. It can provide relief from headaches, muscle aches, back aches, neck pain and joint ache.
6. Sandalwood Oil
This exotic and sweet smelling oil can sedate the nervous system. Sandalwood oil is cooling and soothing and can relieve tension headaches and migraines. Being a nervine tonic, it can treat nerve pain as well as muscle spasms.
7. Sweet Marjoram Oil
The sedative, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of Marjoram oil can be used to relieve stiffness, migraines, rheumatism, osteoarthritis and muscle aches and spasms.
8. Thyme Oil
Thyme oil contains analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties that relieve joint and muscle aches, neck and backaches.
9. Vetiver Oil
Vetiver essential oil may not be very popular in the West, but it has been used since ancient times for its pain relieving properties. It can generally be used for all kinds of aches and pains and is particularly beneficial for menstrual cramps, arthritis, rheumatism and headaches.
10. Wintergreen Oil
Wintergreen oil contains natural salicytate compounds which can relieve headaches, arthritis pain, joint aches etc.
Other Noteworthy Essential Oils for Pain Relief
Many other essential oils have proven pain relieving properties.
- Basil oil – This anti-inflammatory oil can relieve headaches.
- Ginger oil – This essential oil helps rheumatic, arthritis and muscular aches and pains.
- Juniper oil – Juniper oil can relieve muscle aches, muscular spasms and nerve pain.
- Frankincense oil – Frankincense is mildly sedative and anti-inflammatory. It can be used for treating all kinds of chronic pains and stress.
- Clary Sage oil – You can use Clary Sage oil to treat muscle spasms, muscle aches, and PMS related pain.
- Helichrysum oil – Helichrysum oil is prized for its pain relieving properties. It is antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic and can support the nervous system and relieve arthritis pain.
How to Use Essential Oils to Kill Pain Naturally
You can use essential oils on their own but the best way to bring out their pain relieving properties is to use them in a blend (we have some blend recipes for you below). All oils and oil blends need a carrier oil for dilution. Carrier oils like Coconut, Olive, Sweet Almond or Jojoba oils also transport the oils deeper into the skin and give you faster pain relief. Here are some suggested applications for pain relief with essential oils:
- Massage– Dilute the oil/blend of your choice with a few drops of carrier oil. Massage the mixture into the painful areas. For headaches, massage the mixture on the temples, neck and pulse points.
- Compress– You can make a hot or cold compress by adding the oil/blend to hot/cold water. Soak a flannel cloth in the water and wring out excess water. Apply the cloth to the painful region and press gently. Keep the compress in place for 15-20 minutes. Repeat application 3-4 times a day.
- Bath soak– This is great for relieving painful muscles, strain, and sprains. Add a few drops of undiluted pain relieving oil/blend to warm water in a tub, and soak in it until the water runs cold.
- Diffuser– Diffuse the pain relieving oil in your bedroom while you relax.
Essential Oil Pain Relief Recipes
Here are some pain relieving blends for different types of chronic aches.
Sore Muscle Salve Recipe
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 4 tbsp carrier oil
- 10-30 drops of any pain relieving essential oil (Wintergreen, Lavender etc)
In a double broiler, melt the beeswax. Stir frequently while adding the carrier oil and essential oil. Continue stirring. Pour the mixture in a clean glass jar with a lid. Cool completely. To use, apply the salve on aching muscles and rub gently.
Nerve Pain Blend
- 4 drops Chamomile oil
- 3 drops each of Helichrysum and Sweet Marjoram oils
- 2 drops Lavender oil
Mix the oils and add them to a teaspoon of carrier oil (use St. John’s Wort oil). Apply the oil to areas with nerve pain.
- 10 drops each of Peppermint and Basil oil
- 8 drops Sweet Marjoram oil
- 3 drops Helichrysum oil
Mix the oils and dilute the blend with a suitable carrier oil. Apply to temples and neck and massage gently.
Make sure you store all of the above blends in tightly sealed bottles.
Next Time…Kill Your Pain Naturally
So, the next time you’re in pain, concoct one of these essential oil blends and use it in place of conventional drugs. You’ll be pleased and pain-free, naturally!