10 Best Foods to Increase Blood Platelets Naturally
We are really sorry for you that you have to search for this article and we are really happy for you that you are at the right place for the treatment. You took a start by searching for the solution and ‘where there is a start there is a way‘. There are some amazing foods that are boon for platelets increment, which can just like that increase blood platelets naturally at home.
On Day 1 you supposedly have low blood platelet count, and on Day 5 your count can get to normal by eating those foods and following some habits.
Blood Platelets — A brief
- Another name — Thrombocytes
- Normal range – 1.5 lakh – 4.5 lakh per micro-liter
- Name of the disease for low platelets—thrombocytopenia
Blood Platelets are a type of blood cells responsible for stopping the blood from bleeding by clotting during wounds and prevent loss of blood. As soon as a cut or wound, blood vessels send signals to platelets and platelets rush to the site and form a plug or clot to prevent bleeding. It’s necessary to maintain platelets count without which results in spontaneous bleeding or loss of blood.
Platelets are produced in bone marrow along with red and white blood cells. They are made by bone marrow cells called megakaryocytes. Blood Platelets live for 8-10 days.
VIP-Very Important Point
Blood platelets live for only 8-10 days, so achieving good count at a point of time is not an end of the problem. As they live for a short span, your platelet count can go down after few days. To avoid such situation, you must maintain the count at all times, and this happens only ‘when your body can produce platelets itself continuously in the bone marrow‘. So regularly eat foods that help in the growth and maintenance of blood platelets. It’s also best to choose natural ways to increase blood platelets rather than hospital treatments.
Symptoms of Low Blood Platelets
- Slow clotting of blood during wounds
- Continuous bleeding from gums, nose, wounds and GI tract
- Extensive bruising may also be a symptom
- Bleeding in digestive tract
Causes of Low Blood Platelets
- Enough platelets are not being produced in bone marrow
- Platelets getting destroyed in the blood stream
- Accumulation or death of the platelets in the spleen of liver
Sometimes low blood platelet count can be an after effect or side effect of the following situations
- Few medicines that don’t adapt your body
- Autoimmune disorder
- Too much of alcohol consumption
- Kidney infections and disorders
- Cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma
– Foods to Increase Blood Platelets
Now it’s the time for the main part of the article, treatment for the low platelet count. Food is the best remedy to increase blood platelets naturally and cheaply at home without any involvement of hospitals or doctors. Following are the top 10 foods that enrich blood platelet count in the body.
#1. Papaya Leaf Juice and Papaya
Drinking papaya leaf juice should be the first thing to be done as soon as you encounter low platelet count problem. It has been proved in both science and Ayurveda that papaya leaf juice is the best food in treatment for low blood platelets. This is used traditionally by the ancient people to treat low platelet count and related diseases. Ripe papaya is also proved to be very good food for low blood platelets.
- Clean the papaya leaves properly and gently
- Chop the leaves and crush them in mortar and pestle or whichever you like.
- After getting a paste of papaya leaves extract the juice from it by pressing between palms or by squeezing in a cloth.
- Add honey for taste which is optional.
- Drink this juice twice a day to double the effect and increase blood platelets quickly.
#2. Giloy Juice
Giloy juice stands next to papaya on the list for the question what to eat to increase blood platelets. Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia) is another herb which can miraculously increase platelet count within a short time.
It is said in Ayurveda that it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-allergic, and anti-rheumatic actions. It increases the fighting ability of macrophages that are responsible for combating against foreign bodies and micro-organisms. Giloy juice is the most recommended for the patients suffering from thrombocytopenia.
- Soak the stems of giloy in water overnight.
- Boil soaked stems and tulsi leaves in 2-3 glasses of water till it reduces to half the original quantity
- Allow it cool down for sometime
- Have it twice a day to increase blood platelets
#3. Aloe Vera
Ayurveda believes aloe vera as the wonderful herb provided by nature which helps humans in numerous ways. It has many active components that include minerals, vitamins, amino acids, polysaccharide, enzymes and fatty acids that essential to the body. It has antibiotic, anti-microbial, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and disinfectant properties. The presence of anti-oxidants in aloe vera is effective in treatment for low blood platelets.
Aloe vera juice is proven by Ayurveda to have increased blood platelets drastically in a very short period. Here is the method of preparation of its juice.
- Wash Aloe leaves and discard the outer covering using a knife
- Take out the gel from inside the aloe leaf by scraping it with a sharp knife
- Blend the gel with some water and then it’s ready to drink.
Wheat grass is an excellent nutritious and medically high-valued food. It is rich in chlorophyll which helps increase blood platelets in the body. It also contains magnesium, zinc, chromium, and antioxidants. It also has anti-anemic properties. They increase the count of blood platelets, red blood cells, and white blood cells in the body.
Wheat grass juice is one of the amazing foods to increase blood platelets in the blood stream.
- Rinse the wheatgrass and if any presence of mold, discard it and go for a fresh batch.
- Chop the rinsed wheatgrass. Make sure you chopped at least half a cup of wheatgrass.
- Now using mortar and pestle crush the wheatgrass to get a paste.
- You can also use juicer or blender specific for wheatgrass juice extraction.
- Press and extract the juice from the crushed wheatgrass.
- Mix with water and have it.
- Drink twice or thrice in a day to decrease the symptoms of low blood platelets.
The beautiful reddishness of the fruit is a testament to its large iron content. It’s a multi-faceted fruit useful in treatment for low blood platelets. With the regular consumption of pomegranate, you can decrease the chances of platelet reduction. It’s also rich in vitamins that give strength and resistance to fight low platelets related diseases like dengue fever.
Beetroot is found to be another great food for low blood platelets condition. Beetroot can be taken in the form of juice, salads and also can be eaten raw, each of which can increase blood platelets naturally. Carrots and beetroot together in salads give a delicious taste and bless you in good health.
#7. Green Leaf Veggie
Vitamin K creates a healthy atmosphere for the accumulation of platelets and clotting of blood. Green leafy vegetables area great source of vitamin K. During a wound or cut; body activates proteins to stimulate the process of a blood clot. Proteins rely on vitamin K for activation, and thus vitamin K is important for the clotting process.
Green leafy veggie is an immediate answer to the question what to eat to increase blood platelets which are also useful for the whole metabolism. Consumption of green leafy vegetable can improve the metabolism and process behind the clotting of blood.
#8. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil removes free radicals in the body which in turn purifies the blood. Sesame oil is an anti-inflammatory food that increases blood platelets naturally.It’s also a strong detoxifying agent. It can also be used in the cooking and also can be applied on the body.
#9. Lean Proteins
Lean proteins area good source of vitamin B12 and zinc. These nutrients can reverse the effects of thrombocytopenia by increasing the platelet count. Deficiency of zinc in the body is one of the causes of low blood platelets. Zinc in lean proteins also boosts the immune system. Chicken, fish, and turkey are some great sources of lean proteins. Oysters are also an adequate source of zinc.
#10. Indian Gooseberries
Popularly known as Amla, are effective in increasing the production of platelets in the blood. Take 2 to 3 gooseberries on an empty stomach every morning for better results.
They can be eaten directly, or in juice whichever you prefer. Indian gooseberry pickle is also one tasty dish that can increase blood platelets quickly.
– Some Other Important Foods
#1. Vitamin K Rich Foods
Vitamin K foods are the answer to the question how to improve blood platelets through food. Vitamin K is meant for clotting of blood and also has anti-inflammation properties. Inflammation is also one of the reasons for platelet destruction. Vitamin K helps blood platelets stick to each other to clot effectively when required. Here are some best vitamin K foods.
- Lettuce and parsley
- Broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower
- Swiss chard
#2. Vitamin B9 Foods
Vitamin B9 or folate is important for cell division process. Blood platelets are also cells, and this can improve its cell division. Deficiency of folate can lead to thrombocytopenia. So always check whether you take vitamin B9 in your foods to increase blood platelets
- Whole grain
#3. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are considered to be one of the best sources of anti-inflammatory food. They boost your immune system and improve platelet number in the body, which makes it a great food for low blood platelets.
- Flaxseed and its oil
#4. Anti-inflammatory Foods
If you suffer from low platelets, it’s often because of the immune response to platelets. So always eat anti-inflammatory foods avoid such situations. These are some anti-inflammatory foods.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Dark green veggies
- Green tea
– Foods to Avoid
Some foods have a negative impact on blood platelet production and its count. It’s best to avoid such kind of foods for obvious reasons. Avoiding these foods is one of the things in the treatment for low blood platelets.
- Quinine – avoid foods that contain quinine such as tonic water and bitter lime and lemon
- Aspartame –avoid food that has aspartame in them. Diet sodas, Low-fat yogurt, energy drinks are some foods with aspartame in them.
Thanks for reading. What do you think about these foods to increase platelet counts naturally? Leave your questions, comments, and/or thoughts below!