It is a natural and irresistible urge to know everything about the thing closest to your heart and also the about most hateable things on your list.
So if your life has been made miserable by migraine headaches, you definitely will be interested in knowing where this evil came from and for how long it is ruining the lives of your fellow human beings on earth.
Here is a little detail on the background of this disease; migraine is much older than many people think it is, as the recorded history tells us; this word migraine is derived from the Greek language and means pain on one side of head.
This clearly shows that these symptoms have been noticed way back during the Greek reign. It will be astonishing for you to discover that the symptoms and description of migraine headache have also been documented during the Babylonian, Roman and Egyptian times which makes it evident that migraine has been there, since the start of the human race.
In the medical history of today, migraine headaches are considered to as a hereditary disease, which we might have taken from our ancestor. Although it is not a hard and fast rule, and people with no migraine history may also be suffering from this kind of headache.
Targets of Migraine
Migraine can victimize people of all age brackets, regardless of gender. However, it more commonly has been observed that the chances of occurrence of migraine are higher during the adolescent period or young adulthood. Children less than 12 years of age are less likely to suffer migraine.
Another thing worth mentioning is that women are more vulnerable to migraine headache than men. According to statistics, the chances of women having migraine headache is three times more than men.
The incidence ratio is more like 6% men and about 18% women. Also the intensity and aura of migraine is more in women.
To explain this, there is a medical assumption that since women undergo extensive hormonal changes through their life, there is a probability that this might be the reason of higher incidence of migraine in women.
Headaches are of many types, and they do have similar symptoms. In order to identify your headache type, it is a must to focus more on the symptoms of headache.
Migraine headache is categorized as one of the most severe and intense headache types and also migraine symptoms are somewhat unique to mark out its type. Some of the common migraine symptoms that have been recorded in majority cases are:
- The migraine pain starts with lesser intensity and as it grows, the pain becomes throbbing and in form of severe pangs. Generally it becomes very difficult to carry on with the regular work, as the pain increase with the head movements.
- Amongst the marked migraine symptoms, is included the pain on one side of the head. As mentioned earlier in this article, the word migraine itself is derived from the words meaning pain on one side of head. Very rarely in migraine, the pain extends to both the sides otherwise usually it is concentrated in either of the halves.
- Migraine symptoms also include feeling of nausea and vomiting. More often than not, the migraine patients throw up as the attack intensifies.
- Another indication of migraine headache is the duration of pain. Migraine attack normally lasts between two to three hours. The pain is lighter in the begging, and grows to either moderate to severe pain.
- Lack of consciousness is counted significantly among migraine symptoms. Person suffering migraine is likely to lose senses or faint.
- Photo sensitivity i.e. repulsive attitude towards brighter lights or phono sensitivity i.e. repulsion towards louder sounds is another symptom. Lack of concentration and responsiveness is developed and also the hearing ability is affected to a great extend during the migraine headaches.
Highlighting some more intense migraine symptoms, the disease affects vision of the victims in some of the cases. This can lead to blurred vision, blackening out or even momentary blindness for as long as the attack remains.
These are considered as high grade migraine symptoms and are found in people severely suffering from the disease. These are less likely to be found in regular cases.
Treatments and Precautions
The common migraine symptoms with high chances of prevalence have been discussed; you can monitor these various symptoms to find out about the type of your headache, still the preferable thing is to consult the doctor for the detailed account of your disease.
Looking into the treatments of migraine, the most desirable thing to start with is stronger will to fight the disease. once you make up your mind, you can try out the remedies as prescribed by your physician.
There can also be natural or home remedies to migraine headache, you will have to make the decision as according to your individual case. Migraine treatments include slow massage, using ice packs on the areas affected, regular exercise of shoulders and face muscles to regulate the blood flow. You can take aspirin to relive the pain but regular use of pain killers can be harmful.
Though migraine headache is usually genetic and if there is a family history it is likely to develop, yet there can be certain ways to prevent this headache.
Tuliv migraine defense is a drug usually recommended to prevent the migraine attacks. It is however suggested to consult the doctor to avoid any reactions or negative implications. Moreover you can avoid the migraine pain by maintaining proper working and sitting postures. It is wiser not to keep your head downwards for longer hours.
Another good prevention is to avoid using things that trigger your migraine headache. Eating chocolates, meat, or high fat food can trigger migraine in some cases. Similarly smoking, alcohol and concentrated perfumes can also be the reason.
Use of sunglasses in day time is good and avoiding crowded and noisy places is a healthy step, if in case this place is your own home, you are an unfortunate case.
Depending on what triggers the migraine headache, it is sensible to avoid such things and make your environment healthier.