Of course, we all wish we were more toned and stronger. But if you are taking the step to actually become more toned and stronger, instead of continuing to wish you were like the majority of American citizens today, then here are ten tips to show you how to build muscle mass.
1. Eat, Eat, Eat. This seems counteractive, but to get big, you need to eat big. Working on a muscle tears the tissue and then rebuilds the tissue, so you need to be able to have fuel to do that.
2. Eat More Protein. The body needs protein to tear down and repair the muscles. Eat one gram of protein for every pound of body weight.
3. Eat More Fat. Eating the right kinds of fat will increase the number of muscle building hormones in the body.
4. Do Less Cardio. Too much cardio will release hormones in your body that will tear down muscle tissue, so it is counteractive. Do cardio after a muscle-building workout.
5. Sleep. The amount of hormones released peak during sleep, and helps your body to repair itself and grow. It is also during periods of sleep that your metabolic rate decreases to perfect muscle repair, and blood flow to muscles increases.
6. Relax. Stress releases the counteractive hormone which will cause muscle breakdown, so staying relaxed is important for muscle building.
7. Progressive Overloading. Continue adding weight or reps to each workout to push your body’s limits to the max. This will continue muscle growth because once the body gets used to a certain action, it will no longer be effective to strengthen it.
8. Do 8 to 12 Reps. This is optimal. Anything less will not be enough to stimulate growth, and anything more will be more than enough and just tire you out too quickly, and will not get you results any faster.
9. Do 6 to 9 Sets. Using good form with each rep, no more than nine sets per body part should be enough. You want to keep your workout at no more than 45 minutes to avoid the release of those counteractive hormones that will breakdown instead of build up muscle.
10. Drink Enough Water. Getting enough water is important for peak strength and energy levels. Aim for 12 8 ounce glasses per day, and that your protein shakes will count toward your daily water intake.
Following these ten guidelines will ensure that you are building muscle mass, and this is the quickest way to do it. Take care of yourself and build muscle mass the right way.