You’ve had a long day, but now it’s time to head home. You are more than ready to slip off your shoes and rest your aching feet by putting on a nice cozy pair of slippers. The problem is that still does not seem to help much as the slippers are not quite as comfortable as they look and don’t seem to be helping at all.
That scenario is very common among those who suffer from flat feet, plantar fasciitis, severe heel pain or other foot conditions. These are people who do have to be careful about just which shoes they choose. The right pair – a pair with great arch support – can help relieve the pain their ‘problem feet’ can cause while the wrong pair – a pair that simply does not offer any arch support – can actually make it worse.
However, while they may be careful about choosing the right shoes to wear outside they tend to be a little less picky when it comes to choosing slippers for wear in their downtime, indoors. Which is a shame, as by wearing slippers with no arch support for hours can, in some ways, undo all the good done by wearing supportive footwear throughout the day.
While there are some that feel that walking barefoot can actually help strengthen fallen arches – and that is a hotly debated issue by the way – most people don’t really want to do that all the time anyway, especially not during the colder months. The one thing they often don’t know however is that slippers with arch support actually exist at all; after all, they are just slippers, why would they make slippers to cater to people with foot problems? Well, the fact is that ‘they’ do and for some very good reasons.
The Best Arch Support Slippers for Men
Comfort and style. Those should be the primary considerations when shopping for slippers with arch support for men. They are not the only ones though. Price and durability matter too. So with all of this in mind, here is what we found on our search for the best:
1. Sorel Falcon Ridge Slipper
Even before you slip them on these slippers promise comfort and ease on their (good) looks alone. Crafted from all-natural materials like nubuck leather, suede and wool. The double stitched seams and excellent craftsmanship promise durability, the color choices available provide ‘goes with anything’ style and the removable EVA insole provides arch support that is more than adequate for most without being too rigid for real comfort. Shop around a little and you can find these slippers for $40 or so, making them a mid-price choice that is well-worth considering
- Gorgeous, simple but sophisticated styling
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Available in a range of widths for a better fit
- Great arch support thanks to the removable EVA insole
- Wearing comfort thanks to a natural wool lining
- Superior craftsmanship promises good durability
- A little too warm for summer wear, due to the wool lining
- Open back may not provide enough heel support for some
SOREL Men’s Falcon Ridge Slipper Features
- Rubber sole
2. Orthofeet Asheville Slippers
These slippers offer a very classic look. Their soft leather upper is accented with bold white stitching and their faux wool lining is understated and masculine. Where these slippers really excel though is in the ‘all-foot’ support they offer.
In addition to an orthotic insole with anatomical arch support, there is a cushioning heel pad that conforms to the unique shape of the wearer’s foot over time. There is also built-in shock absorption in the light rubber sole. At $80-$100, the price tag reflects the specialist nature of the slippers, but if you suffer from serious foot pain on a regular basis and need as much support as you can get the investment may be well worth making.
- Superior features to aid those with problem feet including an orthotic insole, cushioned heel pad and shock absorbing sole
- Classic styling
- Good durability
- True to size fit with an adjustable width strap to more precisely accommodate wider feet
- Limited number of colors
- Some found that the faux wool lining wore too quickly
- May be too ‘old-fashioned’ in terms of style for younger men
- At the upper end of the price range for arch support slippers
Orthofeet Asheville Most Comfortable Arch Support Diabetic Mens Orthopedic Brown Leather Slippers
- Orthotic support – Premium orthotic insole, included in the shoe, with anatomical arch support and cushioning heel pad conforms to the contours of the foot as you walk. It enhances comfort and helps alleviate pain at the heel, foot, all the way up the knees, hips and lower back.
3. Old Friend Romeo Slipper
These pure sheepskin slippers, in terms of looks, are rather different. Rather than being open backed, like the majority of the slippers on this list, these look almost like low cut booties and they enclose the entire foot. It’s a trendy look that will appeal to some and probably turn others off. If you like Uggs for Men, you’ll like these, as the design aesthetic is very similar.
The fact that the entire foot is covered, and that the slippers feature both a removable orthotic insole and a strap that allows for width adjustment, along with a cushioned heel, means that these slippers are another great choice for men who really suffer frequent foot pain.
- 100% Sheepskin outer and inner, great for warmth and comfort
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Orthotic insole provides good arch support
- Padded heel to relieve pain in that area
- Width adjustment for a custom fit
- Superior craftsmanship
- Unusual styling may not be to everyone’s taste
- Sheepskin outer does need extra cleaning care
- May be too warm for summer wear
Old Friend Men’s Romeo Slipper Features
- Sheep, Country of Origin:Australia
- Rubber sole
- M on the labels refers to Mens and not Medium sizes
4. Spenco Supreme Slipper
Another bootie style slipper with an enclosed back, these slippers more closely resemble a light, soft sneaker than a slipper. The outer is crafted from soft nubuck leather and the inner is a faux wool. The outsole is perforated for ventilation and the sole is ridged for additional traction.
In terms of arch support, it is provided by a fur-covered EVA insole and the deep heel cup is excellent for relieving the pain of plantar fasciitis.
- Comfortable, classic bootie style
- Great arch support
- Excellent for relieving heel pain from plantar fasciitis
- Reasonably priced
- Run a little narrow
- Faux fur lining tends to ‘shed’ and wear quickly
Spenco Men’s Supreme Slipper Features
- Leather and Faux Fur
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Deep Heel Cupping for support
- Orthotic grade arch support
- Metatarsal Dome to alleviate forefoot pressure
5. Vionic with Orthaheel Technology Glenn Slide
Vionic is one of the best-known names in orthopedic footwear, and so the fact that these slides have a lot to offer for those who need extra arch support should come as no surprise. An EVA midsole provides arch support, shock absorption and cushioning and a deeper heel cup can help relieve heel pain.
In terms of styling, the Vionic with Orthaheel Technology Glenn Slide is rather unusual and may not be to everyone’s taste. The corduroy upper is soft, but perhaps not as durable as the leather slippers on this list and a slightly boxy style can be a little tight in the toe for some people.
- Excellent arch support
- Added shock absorption properties
- Deep heel cup to relieve pain from plantar fasciitis
- Unusual styling may not be to everyone’s taste
- Run a little tight in the toe box area
Vionic Mens Glenn Slide Slipper Features
- Upper: corduroy
- Footbed: removeable terry-covered EVA footbed
- Outsole: TPR with fabric insert
- Features the Vionic orthotic footbed with Orthaheel Technology for all day comfort and support.
Best Slippers with Arch Support for Women
The considerations when shopping for the best slippers with arch support for women are very similar to those for men, with perhaps a little more emphasis and style and good looks. These are some of the best we were able to track down, test and recommend.
6. Orthaheel Relax
Sleek and slimline, these classic mule slippers are basic in terms of looks, but we mean that it in a good way. Crafted from high-quality plush polyester they feature a slight heel that gives them a rather cool and casual vibe, rather than the ‘granny’ look that can put some ladies off supportive slippers.
The real benefit of these easy to slip on slippers though is that they feature prescription grade orthotic insoles that provide great arch support and a molded heel cup that will help reduce plantar fasciitis pain considerably. The rubber sole is rigged for extra traction and there is even a width adjustment strap to help ensure a snug fit. At $60 they are not the cheapest women’s slippers with arch support on this list but they are certainly worth the extra expense.
- Sleek, elegant goes with anything style profile
- Prescription grade orthotic insoles for great arch support
- Excellent craftsmanship
- Wisth adjustment strap allows for a ‘custom fit’
- Only available in black
- Are one of the pricier options for slippers with arch support
Vionic Women’s Relax Slipper, Tan, 9 M Features
- Rubber sole
- Durable, built-in orthotic footbed supports and realigns your foot.
- Soft terry upper is easy to adjust with a hook-and-loop closure.
- Polyurethane outsole with fabric-covered pattern tread provides indoor traction.
- Terry upper, upper lining and sockliner, polyurethane midsole, fabric-covered polyurethane outsole.
- Care: Wipe off with a damp cloth. Air dry.
7. Vionic Bliss – Women’s Orthotic Slipper Sandals
Vionic is known for their wide selection of stylish orthopedic shoes (yes, they do exist) and the Vionic Bliss – Women’s Orthotic Slipper Sandals are no exception. In terms of looks, these shoes look very much like flip-flops, but they have a faux fur lined insole and a nubuck leather upper. In short, these shoes are very stylish and they come in several different colorways, including, if it’s your thing, a subtle leopard skin print.
The arch support offered by these slippers is excellent. A molded EVA midsole provides both arch support and shock absorption and even though these slippers have an ‘open upper’ they can provide comfort and support for hours at a time. The $50 price tag puts them in the mid-range in terms of pricing making them excellent value considering how much they have to offer to women with ‘problem feet’.
- Super stylish flip-flop style profile
- Excellent arch support
- Good shock absorption properties
- Slight heel for a ‘touch of glamour’
- Are not the cheapest option on this list
Vionic Bliss – Women’s Orthotic Slipper Sandals Features
- Biomechanical orthotic footbed with deep heel cup allows for proper restructuring of the foot for a healthy stride.
- Built-in EVA midsole takes stress away from knees, ankles and feet by absorbing much of the shock.
- Has been found to alleviate discomfort caused by plantar fasciitis, over pronation and flat feet.
- Microfiber liner for a continually comfortable wear.
- Available in women’s full sizes 5-11; if you are a half-size, we recommend going down a size.
8. Spenco Heidi Women’s Supportive Slippers
If you are familiar with the classic fictional character Heidi then you will understand right away how these supportive slippers got their name. Boasting a Mary Jane silhouette – which is unusual in a slipper – these shoes have an Alpine flair that is cute and stylish.
The upper is crafted from synthetic wool and the slippers are lined with a soft, plush microfiber that keeps your feet warm while still allowing them to ‘breathe’ There are several colorways available so that you can express your own style even further. The rigged rubber sole allows for better traction, but does tend to look a little bulky.
In terms of arch support, the EVA footbed does a good job at both that and at providing a little extra shock absorption. The Mary Jane styling does allow you to adjust the fit to better suit your own foot too.
- Unusual Alpine Mary Jane styling offers a rather unique look
- Excellent arch support
- Crafted from high quality, long-wearing materials
- May be a little too warm for spring and summer wear
- Rubber sole looks a little bulky
Spenco Heidi – Women’s Supportive Slippers Features
- Hook and loop closure helps secure the feet and allows ease of use.
- Lightweight compression molded EVA foot bed with Spenco’s Total Support arch support and forefoot cushion.
9. Revitalign Oceanside Women’s Comfort Slipper
If you are looking for slippers with arch support that are sleek and very modern looking these are just that. These mule style slippers boast an upper that is crafted from a beautifully textured polyester blend these shoes look cool and thanks to a breathable mesh lining they are cool, but very comfortable, to wear as well. A criss cross buckle styling also gives them a very unique look.
In terms of arch support, that is provided by a removable orthotic insole and the slightly firmer fit, some feel adds to walking stability as well.
- Very good looking, modern style profile
- Cool-wearing and suitable for year-round wear
- Good arch support and some extra heel support
- Width adjustment strap allows for a more customized fit
- Some felt the fit is a little too stiff for a comfortable slipper
REVITALIGN Oceanside – Women’s Comfort Slipper Features
- Upper Materials – Warmth and comfort with our blended wool textile and faux fur lining, adjustability to find your perfect fit.
- Insole – Anatomically molded dual-density EVA with microfiber cover for incredible step-in comfort. Removable and supportive.
- Outsole – Molded of both natural and man-made rubber that will not leave marks on any surface types. Non-marking.
- Vegan Friendly – Our vegan friendly footwear offers support, traction and durability while using 100% high-quality man-made materials and 0% animal products. Feel good about what you are putting on your feet.
- Accepted by the APMA – American Podiatric Medical Association.
Foot Health Basics
Did you know that it is estimated that around 20% of the population in the Western Hemisphere suffer from flat feet to a certain degree? In addition, thousands more also have to deal with plantar fasciitis, heel pain and more. That’s quite a sizeable number of people and so as the importance of foot health has become better understood (more about that in a moment) then the number of shoe designers and shoe manufacturers willing to better cater to those with foot health issues has increased significantly.
The various foot problems we have described can have more of an effect on the body than just painful feet. For example, in those who are flat-footed the lack of an arch means that the body’s natural shock absorption system is inadequate and when walking or running flat footed people may be failing to properly distribute the force of up to 150% of their body weight properly, resulting in damage to the feet, ankles, knees and even the lower back. Therefore, choosing the right shoes with arch support is about more than comfort, it’s about preventing a number of different health conditions throughout the lower body as well.
What to Look for in a Slipper with Arch Support
So, if you are going to start shopping for a slipper with arch support, just what should you be looking for? Well, arch support, of course, that’s a given, but you should also be on the lookout for all of the following:
- Good arch support in the midsole
- Some form of heel support
- A cushioned insole
- Good traction (what good is a slipper for arch support if its sole is so slippery you fall over!)
- High-quality materials (you will pay more for slippers with arch support than standard slippers so that they last, and you get your money’s worth is a must)
- Wider fittings (flat footed people especially tend to have wider feet)
The Benefits of Wearing Slippers with Arch Support
There is a sentence in the last section that will probably make more than a few readers raise their eyebrows a little; “you will pay more for slippers with arch support than standard slippers”. And it’s true. You can find standard slippers in almost every big box store, certainly every shoe store and if you look hard enough you’ll probably even find some at your local dollar store. So, if that’s the case why would you consider investing $30-$100+ on a pair of slippers?
The first is that if you have problem feet, and you are making efforts to use supportive footwear as a part of your efforts to improve your foot health then that effort has to be consistent. We all walk around at home more than we think. Count how many times, for example, you simply walk from the living room to the kitchen or bathroom in the course of a single evening at home.
It’s more than you thought right? So, if you aren’t wearing supportive footwear walking around the house the damage you try to prevent during the day by wearing it is being done anyway, something that is very counterproductive.
The second reason to consider spending a little more when shopping for slippers with arch support – and especially the ones we are going to talk about here – is that old adage; you get what you pay for. These slippers are not designed to be worn for a few months and then thrown away. These slippers are designed to last.
And there you have it, our look at the best slippers with arch support for both men and women. Most of these options are available both on and offline and are all available in a wide range of adult sizes. These are far from the only options out there, of course, so feel free to explore others until you find the ones that are just right for you.
When shopping for slippers with arch support it is obviously important to get the right fit in order for the slippers to do their ‘job’ properly. That means if you are shopping online, a situation in which you will be unable to try on the slippers before you buy, make sure that there is a clear and easy return policy, just in case the slippers do not quite fit as you had expected they would when they arrive.