With the increased reliance on technology, computer-based routine work, and portable cell phones, the need to be mindful of proper back alignment and good body posture is more than ever before. A perfect body posture helps keep all your joints, and bones aligned, reducing stress levels on muscles and ligaments.
Defining Body Posture
Posture is how you hold yourself while sitting, standing, and lying down. Moreover, posture is the way you hold your body. Categorically dividing them into two types:
- Dynamic posture is your body posture while you are moving, For instance, your body posture while you are walking, running, or bending over to pick up something.
- Static posture is how your body posture while you are resting, like when you are sitting, standing, or sleeping.
How To Maintain A Perfect Body Posture?
The key to good posture is the position of your spine. Your spine comprises three natural curves – at your neck, mid-back, and lower back. A correct posture is the one that helps maintain these curves and does not increase them. Your head should be parallel to your shoulder and the top of your shoulder should align with your hips.
A. Maintain Good Posture While Sitting And Lying Down.
- Set up your computer at your eye level.
- Make sure not to tuck your chin into your chest.
- Use an ergonomic chair providing lumbar support.
- A DIY lumbar support chair can also be used by rolling up a towel or pillow and placing it at the base of your spine.
- Stretch or walk after at least every half an hour.
- While driving, move your chair near the steering to allow your knees to bend and your feet to reach the pedal.
B. Maintain Good Posture While Standing
- While standing try to relax your shoulders blades back and head straight
- Bend when lifting weight
- Wear supportive shoes
- Use a lumbar support belt for maintaining your posture
C. Add Exercise To The Daily Routine
Make exercise a part of your daily routine. The yoga poses that help shape up a perfect body posture can be practiced for at least 25 to 30 minutes.
D. Maintain Bone Health
Taking supplements like vitamin D, Calcium and multivitamins, etc. It can also help avoid age-related bone issues like osteoarthritis and osteoporosis leading to bone fractures, snapping hips, and stretched back muscles.
How Can Posture Affect My Health?
Poor posture can be bad for your health and can cause following complications:
- Misalign your musculoskeletal system
- Wear away at your spine, making it more fragile and prone to injury
- Cause neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Decrease your flexibility
- Affect how well your joints move
- Affect your balance and increase your risk of falling
- Make it harder to digest your food
- Make it harder to breathe
In a nutshell, a perfect body posture is very important for keeping you away from the above mentioned posture related complications. The tips above, if followed and made part of life, can help prevent issues related to misaligned body posture. Thus preventing you from posture-related complications.