Are you in pain because of an infection in your throat? Well, if you are staying in cities like Bangalore, then you are highly prone to such infections, thanks to recent climatic changes and increasing pollution level. If the pain is intolerable and you want instant relief then you must consult ENT specialist in Bangalore or the city you are living in. Along with that you can try some home remedies for easing the pain and to get rid of the infection quickly.
So before knowing about some natural remedies for treatment of throat infection, we should throw some light on basics of throat infection like its causes, symptoms and the treatment.
A throat infection is usually caused because of infection caused by some virus or bacteria. Sometimes, it is very difficult to handle. The irritation and itchiness causes much difficulty in carrying out your day to day chores. Throat infection is caused because of following reason:
- Viral Infection: This is one of most common reason of throat infection caused by viruses that are responsible for common cold and other upper respiratory problems.
- Bacterial Infection: This is infection caused by bacteria and mostly includes strep throat, diphtheria, and tonsillitis.
- Toxins/irritants: Some outside environmental factors like smoke, air pollutants, and some airborne chemicals are responsible for throat infection.
Some of the common symptoms of throat infection are:
- Body pain
- Runny nose
- Hoarse voice
- Pain in ears
- Swelling of tonsils
- Enlarged lymph nodes in the neck
The ENT specialist in Bangalore or whichever place you are staying will do diagnosis of your infection by taking swab from your throat and accordingly will prescribe antibiotics and pain relieving medicines. But coming back to the topic we can try many home remedies to speed up the process of treatment. Six best natural remedies are:
1. Gargling With Warm Salt Water
This remedy helps in cleaning the throat and losing the phlegm. Research says that gargling with warm salt water helps in treatment of upper respiratory tract infections.
How to use:
- Take about 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water and bring it to boil. Then allow the water to warm down. Use this water to rinse the mouth, gargle near the throat and then spit it out.
- Don’t swallow the water and be careful while adding salt, because too much of salt can irritate the throat further.
2. Using Apple Cider Vinegar
As vinegar is acidic, it helps in killing the bacteria present in the throat. Apple cider vinegar helps in forming a coat in the throat and gives a soothing effect. It also helps in losing the phlegm that irritates the throat.
How to use:
- Mix 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar with 8 ounces of water and have it.
- You can use 1 tsp salt with 8 ounces of water for salty taste or 1 tsp of honey for sweet taste and add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and drink it.
3. Eating Raw Garlic
Garlic has high antiseptic properties that help in reducing the infection. After crushing garlic releases a compound called allicin that has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
How to use:
- You can chew on a raw garlic clove and keep it sucking till 15 minutes. These will help in releasing the compound to the throat.
- Otherwise mince it with honey or olive oil and take it.
- In another method you can blend it with some veggies to make a vegetable juice and drink it.
Honey is very effective in reducing throat infection. It has some antibacterial properties that helps in healing the infection. It also helps in reducing cough that causes pain in throat.
How to use:
- You can take honey by mixing it with hot water, tea or lemon and drink.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint contains menthol, which is a decongestant that thins down the mucous. Peppermint also helps in giving a soothing effect to the throat and easing dry cough.
How to use:
- You can drink as peppermint tea.
- Use peppermint in the diffuser.
- Simply you can rub some peppermint oil in the chest that will give soothing effect.
6. Turmeric Milk
This is another home remedy that is said to have magic effect on the infected throat. It is being used since ages for treatment of infections in throat, cold, coughs and many other upper respiratory problems. Ayurveda treats it as a natural antibiotic.
How to use
- You can drink it by mixing half a tsp of turmeric power in a cup of warm milk.
- Turmeric has antibiotic properties and warm milk has soothing effect, therefore combinedly turmeric milk helps in healing an infected throat.
In addition to this, some doctors also advice to avoid certain food items like dairy products and fermented foods. Even if it natural remedies are a best option, but it is always advisable to consult a physician.